Monday, March 15, 2010

Red Beans and Rice

I'm trying to get out of my chicken rut!  My poor husband has had about enough!  I came across this one from On My Menu.  It was really good!  My husband's only complaint is that he wishes it were a little saucier, so next time I may try adding some chicken stock before I simmer it to see if that'll do the trick.  Also, if your not a spice fan, I would  definitely go for Mild tomatoes, I used the original Rotel, and it definitely had some kick, which I like, but I know many people like things on the milder side!

*UPDATE...if you like your red beans and rice saucier...try this one from Sister's Cafe, it is really tasty as well, but has more sauce and uses the crockpot!

Red Beans and Rice


1 – 16 oz. package of Kielbasa cut into ¼ inch slices (any sausage would do)
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
2 – 15 oz. cans red beans, drained (we used light red Kidney beans)
1 – 16 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained (per her suggestion we used Rotel for some spice)
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. pepper and salt
cooked rice
lime wedges (to squirt on top after dished up and ready to serve)

While rice is cooking, in large skillet cook sausage over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes. Stir in onion, green pepper, and garlic. Sauté until tender. Pour in beans and tomatoes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes serve over rice.  Serve with lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment