Thursday, August 18, 2011

Zucchini Soup

I love that zucchini is so stinking cheap right now!  I saw this recipe and knew I'd love it...the hubby, not so much.  In fact, when he saw me making this he said "why in the world would you ever want to eat something that looks like baby food?"  So I made up a batch of this for lunch for me and the babe.  The hubby's the one that missed out this time.  I was surprised how much this reminded me of broccoli soup, enough in fact that I think next time I make it I may add in some potatoes for a little more filling of a meal.


Just as it is, this is such a healthy soup (especially if you leave off the bacon, cheese, and sour cream...but why would I ever CHOOSE to leave them off?!).  


Zucchini Soup


From: Sisters Cafe

1 cup chopped onions
2 T. butter (I usually use 1 T)
3 cups sliced zucchini (I used about 2 medium zucchini)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
½ cup half-and-half (I used 2% milk with good results)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, then crumbled

In a large saucepan cook onions in melted butter until tender. Add sliced zucchini and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender (about 15 min.) Add salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Pour mixture into blender and puree it. Stir in half-and-half (or milk). Return to saucepan and reheat, but do not boil. Garnish with grated cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits. Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment