Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Spicy Crunchy Chickpeas



Continuing on the quest to lose weight and eat better...I am proud of how I'm doing, but there is always room for improvement!  I am a pathological snacker.  It's an awful problem.  In order to satisfy my snacking urges (after drinking an entire liter of water and chewing gum doesn't quite cut it), I want something salty.  What is the perfect snack-y type food for that?  Why crackers and chips, of course!


To help me satisfy the Doritos craving, I have been forcing myself to find alternatives.  This one fits the bill... crunchy on the outside, (some) chewy on the inside, packed with spices, and better yet, good for you!  Think Corn Nuts here.  The question is...do they taste as good as the MSG filled Doritos, why of course not...nothing ever will!  But they are a great snack to have around and taste great in their own right :)


Spicy Crunchy Chickpeas
From:  On My Menu


 2 tablespoons olive oil
 1 teaspoon cinnamon
 1 teaspoon cumin
 1 teaspoon allspice (I didn't have so left out)
 1 teaspoon salt
 1/2 teaspoon pepper
 I added 1/2-3/4 t chili powder 
 2 15 1/2-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained, thoroughly patted dry

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. In a large bowl, combine olive oil, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, salt and pepper. Add chickpeas and toss to coat thoroughly. Turn chickpeas out onto baking sheet and roast, stirring or shaking baking sheet often, until chickpeas are browned and crunchy, 45 to 50 minutes (next time I may try to not cook them as long to have some retain their chewy insides). Transfer to a bowl and let cool before serving, stirring occasionally.


No comments:

Post a Comment