Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chicken Tortilla Soup


"Soup is not a meal."  This is what I have heard my entire life.  First from my dad and brother, and now my husband.  Well you know what...this soup is so tasty! I found it on Family Favorite RecipesIt almost reminds me of Cafe Rio's tortilla soup minus the corn this one has.  It was really easy to make, which makes things even better.  To make those happy that think soup is not a meal, I served mine with  Quesadilla Rice and Bean Wraps.  Don't go by this picture, it is much tastier than it looks!

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tsp. oil
1 onion, chopped
½ tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
3 (14.5oz) can chicken broth
2 cans corn (drained)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
1-2 c. salsa (I just used Pace...it was in the refrigerator
1 c. tortilla chips
½ c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 avacado, diced

In large pot boil chicken for about 25 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken, cool, and shred. In a large skillet cook onion, garlic in the oil and add cumin. Cook until onions become clear. Drain water from the pot you cooked the chicken in add chicken broth and onion & garlic mixture. Add shredded chicken,corn, chili powder, lemon (or lime) juice and salsa to the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30-40 min. Top with corn chips, cheese, avacado, and a little sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment