Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup


I am not a big fan of tomatoes, and never really liked tomato soup until I tried the homemade variety (the canned stuff just isn't my thing).  I tried a similar soup to this and since then, I just can't stop!


My hubby is out of town on a dental rotation, so I made a big pot of this up and have been eating it every night for dinner with a grilled cheese, so good :)


Tomato Basil Soup


2 cans (28-ounces each) crushed tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 Tbs. basil
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. garlic (a few cloves minced)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup butter 


Mix together tomatoes, chicken broth, basil, sugar, and garlic. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer over low heat until you have to serve it. I've simmered for 10 minutes and it was delicious, and I've simmered for 1 1/2 hours and it was divine. In other words, the longer the better, but you can make it fast and it works just fine.

When you're ready to serve, remove the soup from the heat and stir in the cream (not pictured) and the butter. Stir until the butter has melted.

Recipe Source:  Recipe Shoebox

No comments:

Post a Comment