Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Crockpot Creole Sausage with Red Beans and Rice

Bring on the crockpot and grill recipes!  The heat and the humidity are killing me and the thought of turning on my oven makes me want to jump in a tub full of ice cubes.  I have made a few different variations of red beans and rice, this one is very easy, the rice even cooks in the crockpot, not bad at all!  I must say the rice got somewhat mushy, so if you don't like mushy rice, this may not be for you :)


Crockpot Creole Sausage with Red Beans and Rice
From:  On My Menu

(16 oz) package smoked sausage, sliced (I used turkey sausage)
2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 t Creole seasoning 
1 1/2 c uncooked long-grain rice
2 (15 oz) cans red beans, rinsed and drained

Directions:
*Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat 5 min. or until browned; drain. Place sausage in a 4-quart slow cooker; stir in tomatoes and next 3 ingredients.
*Cover and cook on LOW 3 1/2 hours. Stir in beans. Cover and cook on HIGH 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment