Friday, November 4, 2011

Chicken Pesto Panini

Every Monday, our ward has the opportunity of picking up the leftovers from Panera (they bake everything fresh everyday).  So members take turns picking up the "donations" and you can take as many bagels, loaves of bread, pastries, etc that you want.  I hadn't gone in a while and thought this week would be a good week to go!


Among my many things I brought home, I got a loaf of bread that was studded with yummy asiago cheese and thought it would make a great panini.  I remembered a recipe I had on my list to try, and thought it was about time we gave it a whirl.  It turned out great, lots of yummy flavors to devour :)


Chicken Pesto Panini


This Pesto Panini has pesto spread on the inside of both pieces of Italian bread (I used my crusty, chewy bread from Panera). Then I layer grilled chicken (I grilled mine with some lemon pepper on it), tomatoesavocadoroasted red peppers, and fresh mozzarella cheese (the kind that comes in a ball). I also added some baby spinach.  I spread a little butter on the outsides of the bread (this is optional) and then grill it in a George Foreman-type of grill for five minutes. Serve immediately. 


To make roasted red peppers, half the bell pepper and remove seeds and stem. Place face down on a sheet of tinfoil and place under the broiler. Broil until the skin is black all over, about 8 or so minutes. I cover the tops of the pepper with some tin foil when it gets black and continue to broil it so the remaining sides will blacken. Once the skin is black, fold the tinfoil around it to seal in the heat (or place in a bowl and cover with Saran wrap) and let sit for 20 minutes (I’ve scrimped on the time before, and I think it still tastes good). Then peel off the black skin and cut into slices.
Recipe Source:  The Sisters Cafe

1 comment:

  1. i love anything that has the word PESTO in it! i'll have to give it a whirl....gonna pin it too :)

    ReplyDelete