Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chicken and Chiles

There are a few recipes similar to this I have on my list to try, and I decided to give this one a whirl first.  It comes from On My Menu.  It was good, not wonderful as is.  I am posting it because I think it would make a wonderful burrito filling down the road.  For some reason, just putting it over rice wasn't enough for me!  It had good flavor, and like I said in a burrito with some guac, cheese, sour cream, and cilantro....it would be delish!


-2-3 chicken breasts cubed 
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chiles
- 1 tsp. chili pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- hot cooked rice
Toppings: sour cream, cheese, sliced avocado

Directions:
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Coat a large non-stick frying pan with no-stick spray. Add the chicken and cook over medium heat for five minutes or until the pieces begin to brown. Set aside until the chicken is cool enough to handle.
- In the same pan, combine the oil, onions, garlic, and 2 T. of the broth. Cook stirring frequently for 5-6 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomato sauce, beans and remaining broth to the pan. Stir to mix well. Add the chiles, chili powder, cumin and reserved chicken. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. or until the chicken is tender and the liquid has thickened.
- Serve over rice and top as desired!

No comments:

Post a Comment