Friday, August 19, 2011

Crispy Green Beans

Sometimes, just to appease my husband, I will cook something fried.  I usually don't love fried food, but sometimes you need to indulge.  I first had green beans at T.G.I. Fridays, but my favorite I've had are from P.F. Changs.  These didn't quite meet up to the P.F. Chang version, but they were still good.  The recipe originally called for double dipping the beans, but I thought it ended up being too much.


They were good, the Zesty Dipping Sauce (below) was alright, I preferred Asian Sesame Dressing instead (I like Kraft or Kens brands).


Crispy Green Beans
From:  Mommy's Kitchen


vegetable oil for frying
1 - cup all purpose flour
1 - cup yellow cornmeal
1 - tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 - teaspoon ground red pepper
1 - pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1 - cup whole buttermilk
1 - recipe zesty dipping sauce (basically a jazzed up fry sauce)

In a large dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches. Heat oil over medium-high heat to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl combine flour, cornmeal, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Dip green bean in buttermilk then dredge we beans in flour mixture to coat. 

Fry beans in batches, until golden brown and crisp, approximately 3 to 5 minutes per batch. remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve warm with zesty dipping sauce or Asian sesame dressing. 


Zesty Dipping Sauce 

1/3 - cup mayonnaise
1/3 - cup ketchup
1 - tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, worcestershire, pepper, and garlic salt. Whisking to blend. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment