Thursday, April 14, 2011

BBQ Sloppy Joes


I tell you what...when I think of foods that take me on back to my childhood, a sloppy joe is one thing that comes to mind.  Recently, a co-worker and I started talking about them and since then, I have been craving one and went searching for a recipe.  I went to one of my old go-tos...Mel's Kitchen Cafe and she did not disappoint.  These are dang good.  I never would have thought to combine BBQ sauce and soy sauce, but it works, and it works well :)


"The Best Sloppy Joes"


2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 ½ pounds ground beef
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2/3 cup smoky BBQ sauce (or whatever BBQ sauce is in your fridge)
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Potato rolls or hamburger buns
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until they start to turn translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the beef and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until it is finely crumbled, the liquid boils off and the meat begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Drain the grease off the meat and onions. Stir in the tomato paste, and keep stirring until the meat is coated. Add the BBQ sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire, soy sauce, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. You can make the sloppy joe meat up to 2 days in advance and reheat it over low heat or in the microwave.
*She stated that this also freezes really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment