Friday, April 8, 2016

Puerto Rican Style Beans


One of my FAV trips by far has been a cruise with friends to the Southern Caribbean.  We flew into San Juan, Puerto Rico and got to spend a few days there.  Our absolute favorite thing was just the rice and beans (and mofungo).  Trying to re-create the beans has been tough.  This recipe definitely gave me the flavor I was looking for, finally!  They were super good, I kind of impressed myself ;)  I will post about the chicken I made to go with it soon.  Enjoy!


Puerto Rican Style Beans

For the sofrito:
1/2 small onion
1/2 cubanelle (banana) pepper
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

For the beans:
1 tsp olive oil
15.5 oz can pink or red kidney beans (I like Goya)
1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
1 medium potato, peeled and diced 1/4-inch (4 1/2 oz)
1 1/2 tbsp Sazon seasoning (homemade or store bought)
1 bay leaf
1/8 tsp oregano
kosher salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste

In a mini food processor, chop onions, garlic, pepper and cilantro. Add oil to a medium saucepan and sauté the chopped ingredients, cook on medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes.

Add the beans (not drained) to the saucepan along with 3/4 cup of water. Add tomato sauce, potato, sazon, bay leaf, oregano, salt if needed and pinch of black pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. Discard bay leaf and serve over rice. Makes about 3 cups.

Recipe Source: Skinny Taste

No comments:

Post a Comment